Q: What is the Open Book Newsletter? How does it work and how can I change my preferences?
- What perks do I get from the e-newsletter?
There’s so much happening at the Library, it can be hard to keep up. The e-newsletter makes it easy to stay connected with featured programs, new book recommendations, exciting services, and tips on how to use the Library. Become a Library insider!
- How do I sign up for the e-newsletter?
You can sign up online, in-person with staff at any of our locations, or by phone. You’ll need an email address.
- How can I change my preferences?
Each e-newsletter has a link to unsubscribe or update your preferences. Library staff can also help you in person or over the phone.
You can read archived issues of our newsletter if you prefer not to subscribe.
- What do you do with my data?
We want you to get the most out of your Library, and email is a great way to keep you up to date! We are committed to your confidentiality and have a policy in place that covers the confidentiality of your account, use of materials and access of information. Please see the full statement on Confidentiality of Records. We always strive to ensure the privacy of our patrons and those who visit our buildings and check out materials.
We will not sell or share your information.
The Library has subscriptions and links to reputable third-party external services with their own privacy policies and requirements for creating accounts. You are encouraged to review the privacy policies for these services. These third parties have access to your data only to perform tasks on our behalf and are obligated to maintain appropriate protections and not to disclose or use it for any other purpose.
- I am under age 15. Will I receive an email newsletter? Our email newsletter will not be delivered to patrons 15 and under. When you turn 16, you will automatically receive emails if you have previously opted in and provided an email address. Or, you can sign up here .
- How long does it take to get added or removed from the newsletter list?
The newsletter is a monthly publication, typically sent on the second Tuesday of the month. Email addresses are added/deleted monthly, a week prior to each newsletter distribution date.
- How do I update my email address with the Library?
Log into our website www.jocolibrary.org with your library card number and 4-digit PIN, and go to My Settings in the top right corner to update your personal information. Library staff can also help you in person or over the phone.
- I opted out from receiving the email newsletter, but I’m still receiving it. What should I do? Email addresses are added/deleted monthly, a week prior to each newsletter distribution date. It may take a month to see a change. Library staff can also help you in person or over the phone at 913-826-4600.
- I signed up for the email newsletter, but I’m not receiving it. What should I do? Try these steps to troubleshoot:
- Check to see if your inbox is full.
- Check your email account's spam or junk folder.
- Make sure the Library has your correct email address on file and that you have opted in for the newsletter. Library staff can also help you in person or over the phone.
- Some older email platforms may not allow email delivery (kc.rr.com, hotmail.com, aol.com, everestkc.net, etc.). Consider using a different email address.
The newsletter is sent the second Tuesday of every month, it may take a few weeks to receive your first issue. In the meantime, read our archived issues here (link to The Open Book landing page).
- If I opt-out of receiving the email newsletter, will I still receive notices about my holds? Yes, if you decide not to receive the newsletter, this will not affect the other email notifications you typically receive like notifications of your books on hold, due dates, etc. If you change your mind, you can always opt back in to receiving the newsletter! Also, an archive of our newsletters is located here (insert landing page link) for your convenience.
- How can I determine if I am signed up for the newsletter? If you are unsure if you have subscribed, you can sign up again. Or, if you have a library card, you can call the library at 913-826-4600 so we can check your account.