Q: I think I've been scammed! What should I do?

  • If the scam involves theft of property, report the matter to the local police. Be sure to note the police report number--especially if you plan on initiating an insurance claim.
  • Check out this FTC article for an audio example of a Social Security Number-related scam.
  • If you fear your credit or debit cards are compromised, contact the corresponding financial institution (your bank/credit union, or credit card companies). You may find it helpful to have these customer service numbers written down ahead of time in order to avoid having to research under duress.
  • These scammers could be involved in a larger ring, jeopardizing other people just like you! To assist in federal investigations, report information regarding your scam to the FTC here.
  • As in the case of the recent Western Union wire scams, it's possible you are due a refund for your loss. Check the FTC's reimbursement case page for helpful information.
  • If you've given your Social Security and debit card numbers via a call or text from someone claiming to be associated with your bank, this was likely a scam. Visit identitytheft.gov for assistance in the recovery process.
  • If you've been encouraged to pay someone or clear a debt by sending them a gift card.. yup, you guessed it, this is most likely a scam. Visit this article from the FTC on more information on these operations as well as customer service contact information for some gift card providers.
Last Updated: Dec 27, 2018     Views: 0
Answered By: Johnson County Reference