Q: Where can I find reliable information on nursing homes and long term care facilities?

If you are considering nursing home care in Johnson County, Kansas you may schedule a CARE assessment by calling 913-715-8857.  This assessment is designed to consider a person’s need for nursing facility placement and alternate options for assistance. Aging Information Specialist who work for Johnson County's Humans Services agency can provide you with a list of homes and informational publications on choosing a home and legal and financial issues.  Contact them at 913-715-8861.

Kansas Advocates for Better Care (KABC) advocates for high-quality long-term care for all older adults at home or in facilities. KABC is a statewide 501(c)(3) non-profit organization that has provided guidance, education and advocacy for consumers since 1975.  Their Consumer Information Reports include additional data not available through Medicare.gov.  

Medicare.gov, the official U.S. government site for Medicare provides a service called Nursing Home Compare

Nursing Home Compare allows consumers to compare information about nursing homes. It contains quality of care information on every Medicare- and Medicaid-certified nursing home in the country, including over 15,000 nationwide.

Note: Nursing homes aren't included on Nursing Home Compare if they aren't Medicare- or Medicaid-certified. These Nursing Homes can be licensed by the state. For information about nursing homes not on Nursing Home Compare, contact your State Survey Agency.

Information on Nursing Home Compare isn’t an endorsement or advertisement for any nursing home and should be considered carefully. Use it with other information you gather about nursing homes facilities. Talk to your doctor or other health care provider about the information on Nursing Home Compare. Read more about finding a nursing home- Opens in a new window.

Last Updated: Oct 26, 2017     Views: 28
Answered By: Melody Kinnamon