Q: What kind of assistance is available for disaster victims?

Previous disasters have led to questions about a FHA program called 203(h). This program is designed to assist people displaced by Presidentially declared disasters.

What is Mortgage Insurance for Disaster Victims (Section 203h)?
HUD provides a mortgage insurance program to assist victims of Presidentially declared disasters, known commonly as Section 203(h). This program allows FHA to insure mortgages made by approved lenders to individuals and families (homeowners or renters) whose residences were destroyed or damaged to such an extent that reconstruction or repair is necessary. This program provides for 100% financing for the purchase or reconstruction of a home, however, closing costs and prepaid expenses not paid by the seller must be paid by the borrower in cash or through premium pricing (slightly higher than market interest rate). For more information on Section 203(h) visit http://portal.hud.gov/hudportal/HUD?src=/program_offices/housing/sfh/ins/203h-dft or contact an FHA approved lender.

How do I find an FHA approved lender?
You can find a HUD approved lender in your area by going to the following HUD website: http://www.hud.gov/ll/code/llplcrit.html. You can also find lenders in your area using your local telephone directory under the heading 'Mortgages'.

Where can I find free housing counseling services?
To find a HUD-approved housing counseling agency visit http://www.hud.gov/offices/hsg/sfh/hcc/hccprof14.cfm or call 1-800-569-4287. Housing counseling agencies can give you advice on buying a home, renting, defaults, foreclosures, credit issues, and reverse mortgages.

For further assistance please contact the FHA Resource Center at hud@custhelp.com or by calling 1-800-225-5342 (1-800-CALL-FHA).

Last Updated: Oct 26, 2017     Views: 36
Answered By: Admin Account