what is 6 by 6?
This program emphasizes the six skills that parents and caregivers can help children develop before they learn to read by about the age of 6.
Children get ready to read long before they start school. This is called early literacy and it means what children know about reading and writing before they can read and write. Researchers have identified 6 important pre-reading skills that children need to know before they learn to read – around the age of 6:
- Print motivation: Have fun with books
- Print awareness: Notice print all around
- Vocabulary: Talk, talk, talk to your children, even when they don’t understand what you’re saying
- Narrative skills: Tell stories about everything
- Letter knowledge: Look for letters everywhere
- Phonological awareness: Take time to rhyme, sing and play word games
Watch all of our 6 by 6 videos here.